Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Job Id R-2023-33827 Location Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Our Company Promise
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
- Pay of $32.74 to $32.74 per hour*, plus $8.50/hr. A&P Premium for A&P licenses. With the opportunity for future increase per applicable collective bargaining agreement wage scale. Opportunities for overtime and shift premiums.
Benefits you’ll love:
- Fly for free, as a privilege, on any open seat on all Southwest flights (your eligible dependents too)
- Up to a 9.3% 401(k) Company match, dollar for dollar, of your eligible pay, per paycheck **
- Potential for annual ProfitSharing contribution toward retirement – when Southwest profits, you profit***
- Explore more Benefits you’ll love
The People of Southwest Airlines come together to deliver on our Purpose, which is to connect People to what’s important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low-cost air travel. The Aircraft Maintenance Technician – Line RON invests in the future of Southwest’s People through their work servicing and maintaining Southwest’s all-Boeing fleet – the largest Boeing 737 fleet in the world. This role works collaboratively with fellow Maintenance Technicians and various Teams in Technical Operations (Tech Ops) and Ground Operations (Ground Ops) in order to ensure an airworthy fleet that will sustain an on-time flight schedule. The Aircraft Maintenance Technician is excited to join our tightknit Chicago (MDW) Team, have the opportunity to learn and grow in their expertise each day, and drive where their career with Heart takes them at Southwest Airlines.
- A union-based role that includes working assigned shifts based on seniority. Shifts can include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- U.S. citizenship or current authorization to work in the U.S. is required, and no current or future work authorization sponsorship available.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We continue to look for opportunities to reflect the communities we serve, and welcome applicants with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Works in a cooperative spirit to ensure the success of our Company
- The work of the Mechanic shall include all work generally recognized as Mechanic’s work performed by the Company in its airline operations in and about Company shops, maintenance bases, and maintenance stations–including, but not limited to–checks, dismantling, overhauling, repairing, fabricating, assembling, welding, erecting, and painting all parts of aircraft, aircraft engines, radio equipment, instruments, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, and machine tool work in connection therewith
- Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee’s Leaders, with all internal and external Customers
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to read and comprehend maintenance procedures manuals and related documents, wire diagrams, blue prints, Aircraft Change Orders, special items and log write ups
- Must be able to follow instructions, learn, understand, and comply with maintenance procedures, rules and regulations
- Must be able to write accurate and complete summaries of work accomplished on required forms and sign to verify work was performed as indicated
- Must have sufficient computer skills to access and complete computer based training modules
- Must be able to meet all training requirements in a timely manner
- Must be aware of hazardous situations and be able to handle emergencies as needed
- Must be able to perform well in fast paced environment working under specific deadlines and time constraints to perform aircraft maintenance to meet the demands of the flight schedule
- Must work well with others as part of a team and work under stressful situations
- Must be able to remain alert to moving vehicles or aircraft and use radio equipment effectively
- Must be able to communicate information and instructions in writing, verbally or via radio equipment
- Provides friendly service to and maintains positive relationship with all Internal and External customers
- Works in cooperative spirit to ensure the success of our Company
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Required: 2 years of Aircraft Maintenance Experience, including 1 year of Heavy Jet Aircraft Maintenance Experience (12,500 lbs or more)
- Required: Must meet the recency of experience requirements of CFR 65.83
- To satisfy the recent work experience requirement, the applicant must have been actively working, utilizing their A&P license for at least 6 of the preceding 24 months
- As operations permit, applicants who cannot meet this requirement and are awarded an AMT classification, must work under the supervision of an AMT for six months and may also be required to attend additional training
- Must be able to perform all job functions within cramped and confined spaces and in hazardous areas
- Must be able to lift and move items of up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Must be able to climb, bend, kneel, crawl, and stoop on a frequent basis and for extended periods of time
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have the authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines
- Must possess the tools required to perform routine aircraft maintenance
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, holidays, and overtime
*Pay amount does not guarantee employment for any particular period of time. **401(k) match contributions are subject to the plan’s vesting schedule and applicable IRS limits ***ProfitSharing contributions are subject to plan’s vesting schedule and are made at the discretion of the Company.
Pay Rate: $32.39